Alan Chan: Collecting Inspiration for Design
Alan Chan, the renowned designer with an impeccable eye for Asian artifacts, has amassed a remarkable collection of over 10,000 exquisitely designed and crafted pieces.
This rare personal insight into the influences and inspirations behind acclaimed Hong Kong designer and collector Alan Chan gives an intimate view of the collection of objets he has fastidiously assembled throughout his life, and the creative process they have informed.
The pioneering, award-winning, and self-taught designer is known for his inventive and innovative designs. Effectively organized by theme, from tea to dragons, and with an emphasis on objets produced for China Trade, many of the elegant pieces photographed for this book showcase Chan’s insatiably inquiring mind. They offer insights into how his passion for collecting drives his characteristically whimsical signature take on East and West, tradition and innovation, where there is always a twist of the unexpected. Part autobiography, part reflection on creativity, it is full of insights into Chan’s remarkable design process, making it a treat for the eyes and a valuable resource for new and established designers alike.
Limited Edition Box Set of 500
1. Alan Chan: Collecting Inspiration for Design Book, published by Rizzoli Italy in January 2022
- this 376-page book explores how Alan’s passion of collecting has informed and inspired his creative designs in the past 50 years
- organized by theme from tea to dragons and containers—with an emphasis on artifacts produced for China Trade, more than 1000 pieces of Alan’s private collection were showcased.
2. Modern adaptation print of calligraphy scroll 不滿滿, translates as “fulfilment in not being fulfilled” by Kyoto-born calligrapher Gyokushu Soban 玉舟宗璠 (1600-68) at Kyoto’s Daitoku-ji temple大德寺 (without frame)
3. Customized clear slip-on-cover
4. Japanese wooden box
5. Alan’s calligraphy signature on wood box cover, Alan’s signing and certificate inside the book